European Convention for Engineering Deans 2020
Shaping Engineers for Responsible Impact
Universidad Carlos III – Madrid – 1-3 April 2020
You may now register to the 12th edition of the SEFI European Convention of Engineering Deans – Shaping engineers for responsible impact. The main topic of this year Shaping engineers for responsible impact tries to deal with one important issue we should address as Deans of Faculties of Engineering:
- How to prepare our students to work in a non-defined future, where boundary conditions are continuously changing and multiple stakeholders take part?
The confirmed speakers of ECED:
The aim of the Convention is to open and promote a fruitful dialogue. For that purpose, three main concepts are proposed:
Our students, future engineers, will deal with new challenges further than climate change and internet of things.
- Which is the role of our future engineers in the out coming policies? Should it be more relevant?
- Are sustainability and technological development reconcilable concepts?
- Do our engineers have something to say in the achievement of a peaceful-global world?
The collaboration among different engineering and non-engineering disciplines, including the input of economic, social or legal, environmental and obviously technical stakeholders, open a new and transdisciplinary way of working where new abilities are required.
- How to work in an environment where we face a complex context and the results become more unpredictable?
How to generate the room for experimentation, with high levels of creativity, innovation, interaction and communication where the failure is of low impact, and the opportunity to develop new solutions?
The ECED 2020 challenge will try to summarize this in a statement of what is the role we are supposed to play or what future engineers should be in order to achieve a peaceful world. The publication will be called Madrid Mission.