Dr Diana Martin - SEFI Ethics SIG, TU Eindhoven Dr Diana Martin (co-chair SEFI Ethics…
In 2018, SEFI has joined the initiative for a better Horizon Europe programme. Today there are 15 university organisations join forces to advocate for increased budget for this programme that aims at European research. Read the statement below or download a PDF version. A large number of European universities have joined this call, you may also join at www.EUinvestinknowledge.eu!
Seize our Common Future:
Joint Call for an Ambitious Horizon Europe Budget
Europe is confronted with environmental, social, and economic challenges such as tackling climate change, ensuring citizens’ health, well-being and security, boosting economic competitiveness and creating jobs. The undersigning organisations are fully convinced of the vital role of Research and Innovation (R&I) to cope with these challenges and the opportunities of the 21st
The joint effort at European level must be reinforced to achieve the transformation that Europe needs, in order to build a prosperous, safe, inclusive and sustainable future for the next generations. The EU Leaders have recognised this necessity during the Sibiu Summit, committing to stay united and build a Union fit for the future with the means to match these ambitions.
Investing in excellent cross-border collaborative R&I that has societal relevance is essential to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals and to build a prosperous future for European society. EU R&I plays a key role in:
- Benefiting millions of citizens in Europe by supporting and enabling researchers, innovators, businesses and civil society to use the knowledge and solutions they generate to improve the quality of life.
- Developing the skilled and talented people that Europe needs, investing in our human resources to strengthen its educational, knowledge and technology base for a more environmentally friendly and prosperous society.
- Fostering European scientific, technological and social leadership by supporting committed researchers that dedicate their excellence for the greater good of humanity.
- Boosting Europe’s growth, employment and economic competitiveness by ensuring favourable conditions and policies to translate research results into innovative products, businesses and services.
- Strengthening Europe’s innovation capacity, and preserving its place as a true leader on knowledge, technology and products developed, at a time when global R&I race accelerates.
We call on the EU Institutions and Leaders to strengthen the R&I investment at European level and urge them to raise the budget of the next EU Programme for R&I (2021-2027), Horizon Europe, to at least €120 billion. Even though a greater amount would be needed to solve the big challenges mentioned above and match the programme’s ambitions, this commitment would
give the right signal to boost the public and private R&I investment in Europe. It would also demonstrate Europe’s leadership to rise to the challenges ahead. The European R&I community is fully committed in playing its part together with societal actors.
Brussels, 22 July 2019
Statement drafted by the following organisations: